VILLAGE OF FORT JOHNSON PROPOSED DISSOLUTION PLAN
Please take notice that the Village of Fort Johnson Village Board has scheduled a public hearing for Tuesday September 6, 2022 at 7:00 p.m. at the Fort Johnson Village Hall, 1 Prospect Drive, Fort Johnson, NY 12070 at a special meeting of the Village Board.
The purpose of this hearing is to provide residents the opportunity to provide comments on the Proposed Dissolution Plan for the Village of Fort Johnson endorsed by the Village Board of Trustees on August 2, 2022. The Proposed Plan outlines how the Village will dissolve and what government services, local laws and positions will be continued or not continued as a result of the Village’s dissolution. This document is available on the Village of Fort Johnson Website, www.vfjny.org, on the project website at www.labergegroup.com/fortjohnson and copies are available for the public to view at the Fort Johnson Village Clerk’s Office 27 Fort Johnson Avenue, Fort Johnson, NY 12070. The following is a summary of the Proposed Dissolution Plan:
- Upon dissolution, the projected tax rate for former Village property owners is $22.87 per $1,000 of assessed value (a decrease of approximately 73.6% from the current rate of $86.71/$1,000).
- All Village positions, elected and civil, will be eliminated upon dissolution. All Village Departments will be eliminated.
- The majority of the Village’s real and personal property, will be transferred to the Town of Amsterdam and the Fort Johnson Fire Company for the purpose of continuing services to the residents of Fort Johnson. The balance of the equipment will be sold through public sale. Any assets remaining will be transferred to the Town.
- The Village’s cash assets will be used to eliminate/reduce any outstanding liabilities.
- Should there be any outstanding liabilities, the Village residents will be responsible for all existing debt at the time of dissolution which includes but is not limited to any outstanding debt, loans, payment of employee benefits, and any litigation settlements.
- All services currently provided directly by the Village will be provided by the Town of Amsterdam, at its discretion.
- The effective date of the proposed dissolution shall be December 31, 2023.
After the public hearing, the Village Board will have up to 180 days to amend and adopt the Final Dissolution Plan. If the Final Plan is adopted, the Village Board of Trustees shall contemporaneously with the adoption of the Final Plan set a date for a referendum on dissolution. The referendum must be held no less than 60 days and no more than 90 days from the date of the resolution setting the referendum date. If the referendum passes, the Village will dissolve on December 31, 2023.
All interested parties and citizens will be given an opportunity to be heard in reference to the above Proposed Dissolution Plan on September 8, 2022 at 7 pm at Village Hall. The Plan is found on the Village’s website at www.vfjny.org, on the project website at www.labergegroup.com/fortjohnson and copies will be available at the Village Clerk’s Office, 27 Fort Johnson Avenue, Fort Johnson, NY 12070 for the public to view. Citizens may state their opinions at that time, either in person, by agent or in written statement.
Dated: August 3, 2022
By order of the Village of Fort Johnson Village Board of Trustees
Barbara Smith, Village Clerk
Barbara Smith, Village Clerk